We are looking for 2-4 people for a work-trade position on a 6-acre permaculture homestead in the Santa Cruz area. This comfortable property contains many amenities and sometimes hosts workshops, farm-to-table meals, events, guests, & students throughout the year. Most importantly we are looking for all around homestead help caring for the land, livestock, farm, garden, orchard and family while living a self-sufficient lifestyle that is in sync with the land ecology, our family harmony, and homestead related activities. This live-in opportunity is available immediately, and both temporary or long term options are possible and all are described below:
1 Person Option – 3 month – 2 year option
- Beautiful, tiny home with patio, kitchenette, dining table, bathroom, & bed.
- 40 exchange hours/month at mutual convenience = 15 hours/week (no weekends).
– OR –
1-2 Person Option (or small family of 3) – 3 month – 2 year option
- Beautiful 1-bedroom, 1 bath spacious private and fully furnished apartment.
- 80 exchange hours/month at mutual convenience = 20 hours/week (no weekends).
– OR –
1 Person Short-term Options (we have 2) – 1 week – 3 months
- Cute, furnished private room with patio OR adorable glamper, both share an outdoor kitchen (refrigerator/stove/sink/table), hot shower & composting toilet.
- 40 exchange hours/month at mutual convenience = 10 hours/week (no weekends).
ALL BENEFIT FROM:
- Abundance from the property provides for 10 humans with a bit of everything. We have water, fruits, nuts, berries, eggs, vegetables, meat, honey, dairy, wool, mushrooms, herbs & spices, medicinals, flowers, & so much beauty; but, of course, all that we do can be improved upon and added to and that is where help can streamline & scale our systems.
- We intentionally grow enough to share with schools, friends, and neighbors and currently target our surplus to care for 30 humans.
- A personal garden space can be offered (Absolutely no pot growing).
- Beautiful grounds with access to waterfall pool, sauna, a year-around creek with swimming holes
- All with extensive infrastructure & working systems already in place.
- You should know, we are in our infancy as far as our goals and very much on nature’s timeline.
- Private yet convenient location, 5 minutes to Capitola Beach and 5 minutes to The Forest of Nisene Marks and 10 minutes to downtown Santa Cruz
- Easily bike to almost everything one could need or want…markets, coffee shops, restaurants, beaches, hikes, etc.
- Experience or training in ANY combination of the following: permaculture, market garden/no-till farming, gardening, biodynamics, homestead/self-sufficiency skills, rotational grazing, livestock care, irrigation, real food chef/cooking, natural building, and/or Waldorf educator.
- BUT, all can be happily taught for a good aptitude and great attitude.
- Shorter term (1 week – 3 months) accommodation is also available for ecology students, botanists, naturalists, herbalists, artisans, musicians, educators, crafters, household help, and enthusiastic students of similar interests.
- We couldn’t possibly capture it all, so if this situation is appealing to you, please don’t hesitate to share your craft and perhaps we can find a mutual benefit.
- Clean living, no smoking/drugs
- Quiet, with minimal visitors
- Clean background check and references
- Physically fit to accomplish the needs of the land & season
To be considered, connect with us at email@example.com explaining your area of interest, qualification, and any timeline you may have. The more you can share the better we can determine a lifestyle and timeline fit. Social media, video, references, your reasons for choosing this lifestyle — all are welcome but you can also keep it simple!
If you haven’t seen THE BIGGEST LITTLE FARM, go see it at a theatre near you because THAT’S HOW WE DO!
#permaculture #biodynamic #regenerative #notill #soilhealth #homestead #rotationalgrazing